Taking care of the scalp is very important. Damaged scalp is the major cause of most of your hair troubles. From hair fall to dandruff to dull dry hair, it all depends on your scalp health. Check out these simple Ayurvedic DIY Scalp Treatment and tips that are as effective as the Salon and Spas.
Taking special care of your scalp is crucial to avoid infections, itching, dandruff and all the related hair problems. Before revealing the vedic secrets, let’s first understand why your scalp suffers!
Dust and dirt from the air often gets dumped on the scalp. Bacteria and fungus might also breed there! Here are 5 top reasons of scalp infections –
- Tight knots or head gears weakens the follicles.
- Touching the scalp too much increases infection.
- Keeping the scalp hot and damp breeds microbes.
- Too much chemicals, shampooing damages the scalp.
- Lack of hygiene and oiling also makes the scalp dry.
Apart from these, exposing the scalp to hot dry air also affects scalp health. Certain skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis also result in rough, itchy and cracked scalp. Scalp damage can occur due to varied reasons and knowing your reason makes your treatment more effective!
Also Read: Fermented Rice Water in Hair Care
DIY Scalp Treatment
1. Aloe vera gel for dandruff-free scalp
The sticky green gel is a boon on this planet!
Aloe Vera is not only good for your skin and gut but for your hair too!
It is super effective in reducing irritation, inflammation and itching.
The gel gently moisturizes your scalp and restores its healthy balance.
A study conducted in 1998 revealed the potency of Aloe Vera in the treatment of dermatitis. It said that the cool green succulent could resolve scalp inflammation caused by dandruff. The fatty acids in Aloe Vera have anti-inflammatory properties.
Further, the rich antioxidants in Aloe Vera keeps the scalp healthy!
DIY Scalp Treatment with Aloe Vera
- Take a strand of the Aloe vera plant and extract the gel. Apply the pure gel on the scalp and Keep it for 10-15 mins. Wash it off with cool water.
- You can also prepare Aloe Vera hair masks by blending the gel with different ingredients of your choice.
- Also drinking aloe vera juice offers nourishment to the roots.
Also Read: How to cure Dandruff?
2. Coconut oil for infected scalp
Our grannies love for coconut oil is legit!
Apart from fighting dryness and nourishing your hair, it also kicks off bacteria.
Yes, coconut oil is anti-fungal in nature!
It fights off harmful microbes breeding on your scalp.
In addition to that, coconut oil also shows anti-inflammatory properties.
That means, it is effective in reducing itching and inflammation related issues.
Studies say, coconut oil can also bring relief for chronic conditions like psoriasis.
DIY Scalp Treatment with coconut oil
- Take warm coconut oil and spread it on your palms.
- Apply the oil on the scalp with your finger tips and massage on the scaly areas.
- Massage for a few minutes and wash off after 30 minutes.
- This makes your scalp healthy and hair frizz free!
Also Read: Amla in Hair Care
3. Apple cider vinegar for dry scalp
ACV helps in recovering dull and dry scalp conditions.
Plus, it has natural antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties.
This makes ACV super effective in fighting and preventing dandruff-causing yeast.
It also helps in maintaining pH balance of your scalp. The pH of the scalp is naturally acidic but regular use of hair products can disrupt this balance. An imbalance in the pH is the main reason for rough, dull, tangled and dull hair.
ACV’s acidic base helps in balancing the scalp’s pH thus resulting in smooth, soft, shinier hair.
DIY ACV for scalp treatment
ACV is a gem. But handle it with care! Don’t dump the liquid straight on your head.
- Dilute your ACV with water – usually one-part ACV goes with five parts water.
- Apply this diluted solution after shampooing.
- Keep your eyes and mouth closed and apply it thoroughly on your scalp.
- Let it sit for about 1 minute and rinse it out.
- You can do this once a week for maintaining a healthy scalp!
Also Read: How to Cure Dandruff in 7 days
4. Egg and yogurt
The egg and yogurt mask is a gem for the scalp.
Eggs contain fat and protein which protects the scalp from radical damage. It nourishes the scalp and keeps it healthy by feeding essential nutrients.
Yogurt is an excellent exfoliator. It is rich in fatty acids and vitamins. Apart from nourishment, it calms the scalp, fights microbes and washes away the sticky dust and pollutants stuck in your head.
The egg and yogurt hair care treatment kills the bacteria causing dandruff. It is also an age-old home remedy for thick hair growth and silky, shiny hair.
DIY scalp treatment with egg and yoghurt
- Mix 1 cup yogurt with 1 whole egg.
- Whisk it to mix properly.
- Apply it evenly over your scalp with a brush or fingers.
- Rinse it off after 30 minutes with a mild herbal shampoo.
Also Read: DIY Home remedies for volumnous hair
5. Jojoba oil
This natural oil is a great moisturizer for dull and dry scalp.
It balances sebum production and relieves many scalp problems caused by clogged pores and blocked hair follicles. In addition to that, Jojoba oil has anti-inflammatory and mild antiseptic properties. This soothes an irritated or inflamed scalp.
Jojoba oil is the perfect pick for those with dry, itchy and flaky scalp conditions. Studies also prove it to be an effective cure against dandruff. It is also helpful in controlling scalp acne and similar conditions of the scalp.
DIY scalp treatment with Jojoba Oil
- Apply it directly. Warm the oil about 1 tbsp. for short hair and 2 tbsp. for long hair. Apply it to your scalp, and bring it down to hair tips. Leave in for about 20 minutes. Rinse off with a mild shampoo.
- You can also add a few drops (3-5 drops) of Jojoba Oil to your hair shampoo or conditioner.
Also Read: 5 DIY Natural hair conditioners
6. Mashed Banana
Make your scalp go banana!
Bananas are super healthy for your scalp and hair.
A well of minerals, bananas help in clearing dry scalp conditions.
It is mildly anti-microbial and that helps in steering off dandruff and other infections.
DIY scalp treatment with Bananas
- Take a ripe banana coconut oil or olive oil.
- Mash the banana and mix it well with the oil.
- Massage it on your scalp and let it rest.
- After 15-20 minutes, wash it off with gentle shampoo.
Also Read: How to grow hair naturally?
7. Baking soda and olive oil
Baking soda is antifungal and antibacterial in nature. Olive oil is a natural moisturizer. Both together resolve the problem of dandruff as well as dry scalp.
DIY scalp treatment with Baking soda and olive oil
Mix the same amount of baking soda and olive oil. Massage it into the scalp and wash it off after 5-10 minutes.
Ayurvedic Doctor’s words on DIY Scalp Treatments!
Taking care of your scalp is very essential.
Shampoo, conditioner, hair treatments concentrate on thicker, shinier, smoother hair.
But what about your scalp?
Take good care of your scalp with natural home remedies.
This not only keeps your scalp clean and clear but also protects your hair from damage.
Here are a few more tips for healthy scalp –
- Massage your scalp regularly to promote blood circulation.
- Comb it often to promote blood circulation.
- Use natural hair products to avoid damage from toxic chemicals.
- Do not tie wet hair.
- Avoid plucking your greys.
- Do not sleep with your hair tied!
Apart from these simple practices, make sure to eat a healthy nourishing diet to offer your scalp a punch of nutrition.