Ayurvedic hair oils can help combat hair loss and increase hair thickness.
Ayurvedic hair oil is made from a blend of Ayurvedic herbs. These herbs stimulate hair growth, reduce split ends, combat dandruff, fight scalp issues, and improve the volume of your hair. Herbal oil also helps in strengthening and moisturizing your hair.
I have recommended many of my patients to try different Ayurvedic hair oil for fighting hair fall, baldness, bald patches, and early greying of hair. Massaging the scalp with Ayurvedic Hair Oil is one of the easiest and most effective ways to take care of your hair.
In this blog, I will share a step-by-step guide for using Ayurvedic hair oil.
DIY Ayurvedic Hair Oil: A Step-by-Step Guide
Here are some recipes for DIY Ayurvedic hair oil massage:
Neem hair oil
Neem tree leaves are widely used in India for their medicinal properties. It exhibits antifungal properties that help in killing fungi, lice, and infection-causing microbes. Neem is also rich in fatty acids that strengthen hair follicles and promotes hair growth. It aids in preventing premature greying, promoting hair growth, and preventing hair thinning.
DIY Neem Oil: How to make it?
- Take fresh Neem leaves and grind them into a fine paste.
- Heat coconut oil on a low flame for a minute.
- Add the Neem paste in a 2:1 tablespoon.
- Mix the paste and let it cool.
- Strain the oil and apply it evenly on your scalp.
Curry leaves hair oil
Curry leaves are a widely popular home remedy for treating hair thinning, hair loss, and bald patches. These leaves are high in antioxidants and proteins that also aid in controlling hair fall and prevent premature greying of hair. It is one of the best hair growth oil that you can make at home.
DIY Curry leaves hair oil: How to make it?
- Take fresh curry leaves and grind them into a coarse powder.
- You can also add fenugreek seeds, Reetha, Shikakai(Acacia concinna), or Amla powder.
- Heat coconut oil on a low flame for a minute and add the powder to it.
- Bring it to a boil and let it cool down for some time.
- Strain the oil and apply it to your scalp.
- Massage your scalp evenly using your fingers.
Bhringaraj Hair oil
Bhringraj oil is prepared from the leaves of the Bhringraj herb. This oil helps promote hair growth, control dandruff, and delay premature greying of hair. It has a cooling nature that addresses Pitta dosha, which is at the root of hair issues. Bhringraj oil has been used for centuries to encourage healthy hair growth and promote better sleep.
DIY Bhringaraj Hair oil: How to make it?
- In a pan, pour coconut oil, mustard, or sesame oil and add Bhringaraj powder.
- Boil the mixture until it turns into green color.
- You can also add methi and kalonji seeds to it.
- Allow the oil to cool and strain it.
- Massage this oil on your scalp and relax.
Hibiscus hair oil
Hibiscus hair oil is an age-old home remedy for its anti-aging effect. Prepared from a hibiscus flower, it stimulates hair growth. Rich in nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, this oil is very effective in thickening your hair and adding volume. Hibiscus also provides tremendous shine and thickness to your hair.
DIY Hibiscus Hair oil: How to make it?
- Take a pan and add around 2 cups of oil(coconut, olive, or almond).
- Heat the oil for 1-2 minutes.
- Take about 8-10 hibiscus flowers and a few leaves
- Wash the flowers and add them to the heated oil
- Bring it to a boil, until the flowers turn blackish in color.
- Turn the flame off and let it cool.
- Strain the mixture and the oil is ready for use.
Onion hair oil
Onion juice is said to be very effective against baldness. It is very rich in antioxidants and sulphur that nourishes your hair and helps to prevent breakage and thinning. Applying onion juice is one of the simplest and most effective treatments against hair loss.
DIY Onion Hair oil: How to make it?
- Chop onions into halves and grind to form a smooth paste.
- Heat some coconut or olive oil in a pan and add the paste.
- Bring to boil stirring continuously until the onion paste turns brown.
- Let it cool and strain it after cooling down.
- You can add a few drops of any essential oil to get rid of the pungent smell of onion.
- Your DIY oil is now ready to use.
Things you can add to your hair oil
Castor oil is extremely beneficial for boosting hair growth. Rich in vitamin E, castor oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties. You can add 1 or 2 tablespoons of castor oil to all the above formulations for better nourishment.
Kalonji seeds promote hair growth and act as a conditioner. This oil aids in reducing hair fall and promoting hair growth. Apart from that it’s a rich source of antihistamines, which is very helpful for treating alopecia.
Camphor is another important ingredient that can promote hair growth. It improves blood circulation on the scalp and boosts hair growth. It also provides a cooling effect on the scalp. You can add 3-5 tablets of camphor to the above preparations and use it regularly.
Incorporating ayurvedic hair oils into your hair care routine can provide numerous benefits to your hair health. These natural remedies have been used for centuries to promote healthy hair growth and combat hair damage. By taking a little time out of your week to prepare and apply these oils, you can give your hair the nourishment it needs to look and feel its best. So, go ahead and try out these DIY ayurvedic hair oils to achieve strong, shiny, and healthy hair naturally.