Indigo powder for hair is a very underrated dye!
Popularly used for dyeing textiles, indigo has recently risen to fame as a potent hair dye. When applied alone, it turns your grey hair blue, and when applied with Henna, the indigo powder can turn your greys into dazzling black.
Grey hair crowns the head as soon as we bend a little over the thirties. While coloring the streaks is one of the most common ways of concealing the greys, this in no way is a permanent solution. The color wears off leaving behind a messy maze of hair, compelling you to repeat the dye frequently. But studies have proved the detrimental effect of the chemicals present in hair colors. They are not only bad for your hair and skin but can cause life-threatening diseases like cancer. This rising awareness about harsh chemicals in artificial dyes has forced people to look for natural options.
Indigo powder for hair is one such dye that has gained wide popularity in recent years. Do you know that indigo powder is the oldest known dye? The cultivation and use of indigo crops trace back to the Indus Civilization. Ayurveda had cited the medicinal properties of Indigo a thousand years ago.
What Is Indigo Powder?
Indigo powder is a natural dye obtained by washing, drying, and grinding the dry leaves of the indigo plant. Because of its rich blue tint and high demand, this crop is referred to as blue gold.
Benefits of Indigo Powder for Hair
This is not breaking news that dyeing your hair with natural dyes not only helps cover your greys but also helps nourish your hair and improve your hair health. Natural hair colors are rising in demand because of the many benefits that are now scientifically proven.
1. Indigo powder is a 100% natural dye
Indigo has been used as a natural hair dye for years. While indigo alone gives your hair a range of blue tint, applying it with Henna can give you shades of brown, black, or mahogany. Indigo powder is 100% organic and is sans of any chemicals. It does not harm your hair and gives your hair a wonderful dazzle.
2. Indigo can prevent premature greying
It is an amazing herb with potent medicinal properties that help prevent greying of hair, unlike chemical dyes that speed up the process of aging. Indigo powder for hair can also help control hair fall and improve the texture of your hair.
3. Indigo powder can prevent dandruff
Another less known benefit of indigo powder for hair is its anti-dandruff property. This organic hair dye is free from ammonia, and other harmful chemicals. It cleanses your hair and helps in preventing scalp infections, allergies, and dandruff.
4. Indigo powder nourishes your hair
The soothing sensation of indigo powder not only calms your mind but also nourishes your hair from the roots. It strengthens your strands and prevents hair fall. Using this natural dye with coconut oil can make your hair strong and healthy.
5. Indigo powder makes your hair manageable
Studies say that indigo powder can make your hair more manageable by detangling the strands. This natural dye makes your hair thicker and stronger and gives your hair a natural shine.
Also Read: Does honey turn your black hair white?
How To Use Henna and Indigo for Hair Colouring?
Indigo is a strong blue dye and applying it directly can give your hair a blue tint. While Henna gives your hair an orangy tint. Most people don’t like both these colors. As such applying Henna and Indigo together could be the perfect solution.
Treat your hair with henna and follow that by applying indigo powder to get a brown, auburn, or black tint that looks more natural. Here are the simple steps to apply henna and indigo powder.
- Mix Henna with strained tea decoction or coffee decoction. Add a dash of lemon and mix well. You can also add an egg white for silky smooth conditioning. Leave this overnight.
- Apply the Henna evenly on your hair and leave it for an hour.
- Rinse thoroughly with normal water but don’t apply shampoo.
- Let the hair dry naturally.
- Mix the Indigo powder in warm water to form a paste.
- Apply this paste on your hair on cooling. Use gloves on your hands and apply them using a brush.
- Leave it for about 90 minutes and rinse thoroughly.
- Wash your hair with shampoo the following day.
Also Read: How to apply Henna for hair dye?
- Indigo powder is 100% organic and there are no side effects reported to date. However, here are a few cautions you can exercise while using this powder.
- When mixing indigo powder, it is advised to wear a mask and gloves as this powder is highly alkaline.
- Also, always remember to add the powder to the water and not water to the powder.
- It is also important to keep your hair dye utensils separate.
Also Read: How to cure hair fall in 7 days?
Indigo Powder for hair is an excellent natural dye that the world is shifting to. Being an organic hair coloring option indigo powder provides the ultimate range of color while caring and nourishing your hair. However, make sure to opt for trusted brands that offer 100% natural organic indigo powder as many cheap brands can offer a mix.
Try dyeing your hair with indigo powder and Henna and share your thoughts on this!