Acne is a common trouble. If the stubborn zits cover your face with pain and agony, then let me assure you that you are not the only one. In fact, acne has plagued the human race with pain since aeons. And our ancestors discovered some simple home remedies for pimples that tackled them right!
Though acne is not life-threatening it’s serious.
In Ayurveda, acne is referred to as ‘Yauvana Pidika’. The texts say that the main cause of acne is excess production of oil from the sebaceous glands. It is a manifestation of an aggravated Pitta dosha.
More than the physical pain, acne causes a mental burden of embarrassment and shyness. People suffering from acne are often self-conscious and find themselves feeling awkward around people.
Though it mostly sighted on the face, acne can affect the shoulder and back, thighs and arms too!
So, rather than hiding your skin with clothes or make-up, take care of your skin the Ayurvedic way. Try these simple Ayurvedic home remedies for pimples and uproot your acne problem from the root!
Also Read: 5 self-care tips for dry skin
Ayurvedic home remedies for pimples
Take care with Aloe vera
Take out the miraculous green jelly to fight the monstrous acne. Aloe vera is a natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agent. It balances the sebum levels and guards your skin against acne-causing bacteria. Thus, it can effectively reduce the appearance of acne and prevent acne breakouts.
How to use Aloe vera gel for acne?
- Extract the gel from the thorny cactus. (You can also use a ready Aloe vera gel).
- Take it out in a clean bowl.
- Clean your acne sores with mild warm water.
- Apply a thin layer of the gel over the area.
- Keep it for some time and wash it off.
Rub on some Cinnamon and Honey
Honey is an age-old remedy that has been used for centuries to treat a number of skin conditions. And it works very well in soothing the red inflamed acne-prone skin. Honey contains a number of antioxidants that clears the clogged pores and cleans out the toxins.
Cinnamon is blessed with great anti-inflammatory properties. When combined with honey’s antimicrobial properties it works well in removing acne. Cinnamon also helps in fading of acne scars.
How to use cinnamon and honey for acne?
- Always prefer raw honey for acne care.
- Clear your skin with warm water.
- Mix 1 tsp cinnamon powder with 2 tsp honey.
- Apply the paste on the pimples.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
Also Read: The amazing health benefits of Honey
For most people, acne is a problem caused by too much sebum. This happens because of natural body oils stuck in the pores and there are not enough anti-oxidants to fight back!
Green tea is a super-rich bag of polyphenol antioxidants called catechins. This helps the body break down the toxins built up in the open acne sores. Green tea helps to reduce skin’s sebum production, reduces acne formation and reduces inflammation.
How to use green tea for acne?
- Adding green tea to your diet is one way of fighting acne.
- Take out the green tea leaves from one or two tea bags.
- Moisten the tea leaves with warm water.
- Mix the leaves with honey and aloe vera gel.
- Spread the mixture on the acne-prone areas of your skin.
- Keep the mask on for 10 to 20 minutes and wash off with water.
- This mask helps in clearing your acne and reducing whiteheads and blackheads as well.
Also Read: Tea in skincare
Water and Lemon Skin Tonic
The citric acid in lemon kills the bacteria and reduces the redness caused by inflammation. Water dilutes the concentration to reduce the itch or burn on your skin. Try this simple remedy for a few months to get rid of acne permanently.
It is one of the easiest and cheapest remedies for acne.
How to use lemon for acne?
- Squeeze two lemons and add two tsp distilled water.
- Apply this tonic before bed every day and leave it overnight.
- Rinse it in the morning for clean and clear skin.
- It clears your pimples and protects your skin.
Also Read: 5 natural fruit packs to pamper your skin
Turmeric and Basil
In Ayurveda, Turmeric is the ultimate healer and basil is the holy plant. The combination of both makes a potent pack for fighting acne. Both are blessed with wonderful healing properties. They clean the toxins out of the pores and works as anti-allergens.
Tulsi is one of the best herbs to treat acne, pimples and blemishes. And turmeric is known for its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. A paste of tulsi and turmeric is one of the oldest Ayurvedic remedies to prevent acne and bacterial breakouts.
- Take about 20-25 basil leaves and 2 tsp turmeric powder.
- Make a fine paste by grinding them with water, honey or rose water.
- Apply the pack on your skin covering the acne-prone area.
- Once dry, rinse off and pat dry.
You can also consume this paste by diluting it with half-cup water. This protects your skin against free radical damage and bacterial breeding.
Neem leaves is a popular remedy in Ayurveda for skin problems. From allergies to inflammation to itching the bitter Neem leaves can cure it all. That’s because of the strong anti-microbial, anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory properties of this sacred plant.
Did you know in ancient times people used to bath with water infused with Neem leaves to prevent skin diseases? In many parts of India, this practice is still going strong.
How to apply Neem leaves for acne?
- Take fresh neem leaves from a plant.
- Make neem leaf paste by boiling and crushing 10 leaves.
- Apply neem paste on the acne affected area.
- Leave it on until it dries and the skin soaks all the goodness.
- Rinse with water and pat dry.
The staple veggie in your kitchen can be your quarantine cure for acne. Potatoes are good for the skin in many ways. The potato starch soothes the inflamed skin and absorbs all the excess oil.
Also, they are rich in Vitamin C which minimizes the risk of acne scars and dark spots. Potato juice also contains Vitamin B & C, potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, and copper. This makes potato paste a good option in skincare.
How to use Potato Paste in acne?
- Grind a potato in the mixer and take a tsp of potato juice.
- You can also add 1 tsp of tomato Juice.
- Dab on the acne marks and keep it for 40-45 minutes.
- Wash it away with cold water.
Papaya is a rich natural food that’s extremely good for the skin. It contains papain and chymopapain that can decrease inflammation. Papain is a great exfoliating agent. The rich contents of papaya reduce acne by removing dead skin cells that clog the pores.
Papain is also effective in the treatment of scarring. Papaya is also rich in vitamin A and Vitamin C both of which help fight acne. Retinol, a compound in Vitamin A help treat and prevent inflammatory zits.
How to use Papaya for acne?
- Mash a few papaya cubes depending on the area you want to cover
- Mix 2-3 tsp honey to make a smooth and consistent paste.
- Leave it for 20 minutes and rinse it with cold water.
The market is loaded with all the anti-acne products.
But not every product works on everyone!
They can rather worsen your condition and cause other side effects.
So, before hopping into the stores in this pandemic situation, try these simple Ayurvedic home remedies for pimples!
These have worked for centuries and one or all of them will work for you too.
That too without causing any side-effects!