Ever wondered how our ancestors could memorize long religious shlokas even in their eighties? Ancient Indian scholars had mesmerizing mind power. All thanks to the magic of Brahmi! However, there is more to its magical memory. Check out these mind-blowing health benefits of Brahmi that are now research stamped!
Fun Facts about Brahmi!
- Did you know this powerful ancient herb is so miraculous that it got its name Brahmi after Lord Brahma? Lord Brahma is the creator of this universe!
- Not just in humans, Brahmi is also beneficial for aquatic life. In fact, Brahmi is a popular aquarium plant.
- Brahmi leaf has a similar shape to that of the cerebellum. The cerebellum helps in controlling concentration and memory. And Brahmi enhances those functions of your brain.
The first mentions: Brahmi
The first mentions of this herb are found in the centuries-old Sanskrit books, Great Trilogy. Charaka Samhita and Sushruta mention Brahmi as a Medhya Rasayana. Ancient Vaidyas recommended the use of Brahmi as a memory-enhancing agent.
In ancient times, people used Brahmi for enhancing cognitive abilities. It has been the star of traditional Ayurvedic medicine for its multipurpose benefits. Apart from boosting memory and learning, it aids in treating a range of mental and physical conditions.
Traditional Indian Vaidyas knew Brahmi for its anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, analgesic, antipyretic, sedative and antiepileptic properties. This made it a multipurpose medicine, used to prevent, treat and cure a range of diseases.
Modern science and Brahmi
After years of research, modern science acknowledged Brahmi as a nootropic. (Nootropics are drugs, supplements, and substances that may improve cognitive function. Particularly executive functions, memory, creativity, or motivation in healthy individuals).
It is now named as a “smart drug” effective in enhancing brain function. Modern research has scientifically validated its historical use. They also support the herb’s abilities to improve memory, learning capabilities and concentration.
Its brain-boosting abilities also prevent degenerative activities of the brain cells. Thus, it is found effective in preventing and treating Alzheimer’s disease. Ayurvedic doctors also use it in treating psychiatric disorders like agitation, anxiety and depression.
Further studies on Brahmi established it’s adaptogenic effects. It helps in relieving stress and stress-induced diseases. Anxiety, depression, insomnia, mental and physical issues can also be treated with Brahmi.
Health Benefits of Brahmi
Brahmi is a creeping herb with miraculous healing qualities!
Ayurveda hails it as a wonderful brain tonic.
The nutrients in Brahmi keep the brain sharp even in old age.
But we already know that!
Wait!!! Ancient Vaidyas also said that Brahmi is more than a brain tonic!
Brahmi lowers stress and anxiety.
It helps fight against age realted degenerative diseases.
In addition to that, it is a superb immune booster.
The list does not stop!
Brahmi also helps in getting youtful glowing skin and long lustrous tresses!
In short, Brahmi stimulates each cell of your body and enhances the functioning of each organ!
Check out these top 10 research-backed health benefits of Brahmi
1. It’s a powerful anti-oxidant
Brahmi is a powerhouse of antioxidants. It prevents oxidative stress and protects against cell damage caused by free radicals. This not only delays the signs of ageing but also prevents several diseases.
2. It’s a brain booster
Brahmi is a known brain booster.
It contains bacosides an active compound that stimulates the brain and staves off mental degeneration. Brahmi is especially beneficial in improving concentration and memory retention.
Nitric oxide is another major compound in Brahmi that improves concentration and mental alertness. This active compound in Brahmi also helps in treating cognitive disorders like Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
Brahmi is said to be the secret of a sharp brain even in old age.
The celeberum shaped plant is also helpful in treating Attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). A clinical study revealed that using Brahmi for 6 months can improve ADHD symptoms. In addition to that it helped relieve restlessness and reduced learning problems by 20%.
Also Read: Foods to boost your brain
3. It can control your stress hormone
Brahmi leaves are adaptogenic in nature. It can relieve stress and anxiety naturally by decreasing the levels of cortisol and curbing its ill effects. This cooling herb boosts calmness in the mind and body.
Ayurvedic doctors advise Brahmi for treating anxiety and panic attacks. It is further helpful in relieving palpitations, nervousness, insomnia, fatigue and headaches.
4. Brahmi enhances your beauty
Rubbing Brahmi leaves on your body helps in relieving swelling, inflammation and irritation. It reduces scars and pigmentation and brings a youthful glow to the skin. Ayurvedic doctors call it an instant healer of wounds. It disinfects the area and prevents scars and marks.
Brahmi is also good for the hair. Massaging hot Brahmi oil into the scalp stimulates hair follicles. This helps in removing dandruff and soothing an itchy scalp. It boosts hair growth and prevents baldness and alopecia.
Also Read: Beauty Secret of Bollywood Stars
5. It improves your Respiratory Health
Brahmi is a potent cure for respiratory troubles. It is helpful in relieving congestion, bronchitis, sinusitis, and cold. The constituents of this herb clears excess mucus and decreases inflammation in the respiratory tract. Thus, providing instant relief in cold and cough.
6. It supports your Immune System
Regular consumption of Brahmi is good for the immune system. Rich in antioxidants, it boosts the response time of the immune system. It also improves the body’s immune response against bacteria, virus and pathogens.
Also Read : 7 simple immune boosting smoothies
7. It can help treats Epilepsy
For thousands of years, Brahmi has been the medicine for epilepsy. It affects the neural pathways in a positive way. Brahmi is very helpful in preventing epileptic fits and other mental diseases. It is also effective in treating neuralgia and bipolar disorder.
8. Lowers Blood Sugar Levels
Ancient Vaidyas knew about the hypoglycemic properties of Brahmi leaves. They were widely used in diabetics. Modern studies also say that regular consumption of Brahmi can improve the symptoms of diabetes.
Also Read: Stress and Diabetes
9. It treats Digestive Problems
Brahmi is a soothing and sedative herb. It improves sleep and reduces stress. Both of which impacts the process of digestion. Further, its anti-inflammatory properties prevent and treat inflammatory issues like ulcer and IBS.
10. It lowers your blood pressure
Brahmi helps in lowering blood pressure. High blood pressure is a common complaint. It makes one susceptible to heart diseases, stroke and congestive heart failure.
Home remedies and Health Benefits of Brahmi
1. Brahmi infused Milk for complete care
- Brahmi – 1 bundle
- Milk – 1 cup
- Almond – 1-2
- Jaggery – as per taste
How to prepare Brahmi infused milk?
- Soak Brahmi leaves overnight
- Grind the Brahmi leaves with almonds and jaggery to make a smooth paste
- Add this paste to milk, stir and mix.
- Your super healthy drink in ready in minutes.
Drinking it once a day helps in eliminating worms from the bowel. It stirs up the digestive system and tones up the liver. This drink also aids in brain development and cures skin diseases.
2. Super anti-oxidizing Brahmi Tea
- Brahmi leaves – 3-5 strands
- Honey – 1 Tsp
- Water – 1 Cup
How to prepare Brahmi tea?
- Add 3-5 strands of Brahmi leaves to the teapot.
- Pour a little honey for taste
- Add hot water and close the lid.
- Let it settle for 10-15 minutes
- Remove the Infuser and serve hot
Brahmi tea is an excellent remedy for all kinds of respiratory disorders. This energizing drink is cool in nature and helps in calming stress, anxiety and depression.
3. Brahmi oil for hair growth
- Brahmi Oil
- Methi (Fenugreek)
- Almond oil
How to Prepare Brahmi Oil for hair growth?
- Heat a clean Pan to make sure there is no water.
- Once the pan is hot, add 2-3 Tsp of Brahmi oil and Almond oil.
- Heat the oil for 1 minute and add fenugreek seeds.
- Heat it for another 1 minute and remove the Pan once the oil starts to boil.
- Strain the fenugreek seeds and apply it on roots of the hair.
Brahmi helps to remove dandruff, itchiness in scalp and baldness. It is effective in treating baldness and alopecia.
4. Brahmi Chutney for a healthy body
- Brahmi Leaves 1 bundle
- Grated coconut
- Tamarind (small)
- Black gram – 1 tsp
- Bengal gram – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil – 1 tsp
How to prepare Brahmi Chutney?
- Clean the leaves to remove all impurities.
- Heat cooking oil into a pan and fry Bengal gram black gram for 1-2minutes.
- Add coconut and fry till golden brown.
- Add tamarind, salt and Brahmi leaves and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Take the mixture and grind with little water to a paste.
- Serve the chutney with rice or chapati
This Brahmi chutney helps in controlling blood pressure and cures joint pains. It contains all the nutrients that make your daily meal a punch of healthy nutrition.
Know this before using Brahmi in your diet!
- Brahmi is not recommended while on birth control tablets.
- Pregnant and breast-feeding mothers should consult an Ayurvedic doctor before using Brahmi.
- Also, people suffering from chronic illness should consult an Ayurvedic doctor.
- Consumption of too much of Brahmi may cause stomach discomfort.
Brahmi – The ultimate weapon!
Brahmi is no doubt an ultimate weapon to fight diseases and ensure good health. There is enough evidence to prove the numerous health benefits of Brahmi.
This ancient brain tonic does so much more.
From healing wounds to preventing cancers, it is an ultimate health weapon!
Feed this to your kid for smart learning and to your parents for protected health. Add it to your routine to fight stress and enhance performance. Add this all-rounder Ayurvedic herb to your diet in any form and enjoy its amazing benefits!
Bring Brahmi home and enjoy its miraculous benefits. You can cultivate the plant in a pot or get a pack from the Ayurvedic store!