You are what you eat! That’s the absolute truth. From your skin to your hair to every cell of your body is made from the food you eat. So, providing the hair with all the essential nutrients is the best way to get the crown of healthy hair!
From making them long, strong and smooth, the journey begins from your food. Yes, it’s not the expensive shampoos or the conditioners but your plate determining your hair!
Of course, your lifestyle, sleep and hair care regime also play a role. But food is primary!
So, here are 15 foods that you must add to your diet for that silky-smooth tresses.
Diet for healthy hair
Egg masks in hair care is a popular remedy that has been passed on for centuries. Perhaps, it is touted as one of the best natural hair conditioners. But did you know adding eggs to your diet can also work magic on your tresses?
- Promotes Hair Growth – It is a house full of protein along with a multitude of vitamins and minerals. Sulphur in eggs promotes hair growth and the protein strengthens hair roots. The nutrients help stimulate new hair growth. It adds volume and thickens your hair.
- Curbs hair loss – The biotin and B-complex vitamins in eggs can help curb hair loss. Though it is not a proven treatment for hair loss but the proteins sure help.
- Prevents hair damage – Eggs can improve the texture of your hair. Hair is 70% protein and the protein in eggs helps rebuild the damaged keratin. Eating eggs can reduce hair breakage, fizzes and split ends.
Spinach is one of the healthiest greens that you can add to your diet. From strengthening your muscles to building your brain, it also nourishes and strengthens your hair!
- Spinach for a Healthy Scalp – Spinach is a well of vitamin A. Studies show that it stimulates the production of oils on the hair follicles that moisturize the scalp. The antioxidants help to prevent hair loss and promote scalp health.
- Enhances Hair Growth – Spinach contains folate, iron, and vitamins. All of these promotes hair growth. It helps in the production and maintenance of collagen that promotes hair formation and hair growth.
The soft hair on the rabbits, what could be the secret? Carrots of course! Research shows that carrots are super effective in preventing hair fall and greying.
- Stimulates hair growth – Carrots contain vitamin E, A, and antioxidants. They boost blood circulation on the scalp and stimulate hair regrowth.
- Improves Scalp Hygiene – Carrots have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. These fight off bacterial and fungal infections and keep the scalp healthy and clean.
- Combats Premature Greying – Carrots boost blood circulation and nourish the scalp. These nutrients also protect the hair from pollution, UV rays.
Avocado is a superfood with an incredible nutritional profile. Avocados are super-rich in Vitamin E. A supplement essential for hair growth. It also contains healthy fats that restore the shine and silkiness in your hair.
Soy flaunts a complete protein profile. It offers all the essential amino acids that cannot be synthesized by the human body. Studies show that soy proteins can play a role in hair growth. Soy extracts are also proven to reduce the risk of alopecia that can cause baldness.
Amla is an age-old secret for long lustrous hair. Rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, research proves that Amla strengthens and nourishes the hair from within. Amla promotes the production of collagen, prevents dryness and itchiness of the scalp.
Oats is one of the most nutritious breakfast to start the day. It’s good for your tummy. But the lesser-known fact is that oats are also great for your hair!
Oats are packed with fibre, protein, and iron along with many minerals. These nutrients help in strengthening the scalp, supporting healthy hair follicles, and reinforcing strong strands.
8. Guava Leaves
Guava leaves are also packed with analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties. This makes it a potent cure for hair loss. Guava is packed with Vitamin C and biotin, this prevents hair loss and improves hair growth.
Walnuts are great for your brain and your heart. But they are also great for your hair. Rich in selenium, walnuts can reduce your hair fall. The potassium, omega-3, omega-6, and omega-9 fatty acids strengthen your hair.
The fatty acids also help in getting rid of dandruff from your scalp. Walnuts contain a lot of essential oils with anti-bacterial properties that prevent infections.
11. Pumpkin seeds
Pumpkin seeds contain lots of nutrients including fatty oils and vitamins A, B6 and C. These nutrients boost hair growth, improves hair quality and prevents hair loss. Roasted pumpkin seeds should be consumed every day for healthy hair.
12. Fish Oil
Rich in omega-3 fatty acids and other essential nutrients, fish oil promotes overall health. This promotes hair growth, hair strength and nourishes hair follicles. It provides essential proteins and nutrients to hair follicles and skin.
A study concluded that women who take fish oil supplement experienced increased hair growth and reduced hair loss. Another study concluded fish oil may help add lustre and shine to the hair.
Fenugreek seeds contain high nutrients that benefit the hair follicles. Researchers have quoted it to promote healthier hair. The micronutrients act as potential treatment for hair loss.
Mushroom is an amazing source of selenium and anti-oxidants. It is a great food to fight off dandruff. It contains lots of iron that prevent hair fall and hair breakage. Plus, it is a rich source of Vitamin D.
Kiwi is a rich source of Vitamin E and C that helps in fighting hair loss and forming collagen. It boosts immunity and prevents hair loss. It scraps off free radicals, promotes blood circulation and stimulates hair growth.
Kiwi boosts collagen formation, hydrates the hair and prevents premature greying. Kiwi strengthens blood vessels that can prevent the scalp from infections and dandruff.
Conclusion: Foods for healthy hair
All these food items are naturally available and do not cause any side effects. But if you are allergic to any of these then make sure to strike off that item from the list. It’s 15 foods for great hair, pick the ones you like best.