Managing weight during menopause can be a challenging task for women due to hormonal changes, aging, and genetic factors. However, Ayurveda offers a holistic approach to managing weight during menopause.
Diet plays a crucial role in managing weight during menopause.
- Experts recommend avoiding spicy and processed foods and meat, and instead focusing on plant-based foods that produce more estrogen like Shatavari, soya milk, soya beans, and prunes.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables high in iron, such as apples, prunes, and figs, can help control mood swings.
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach, radish leaves, drumstick leaves, colocasia leaves, and coriander can help eliminate toxins from the body.
- Regular exercise is also vital for maintaining a healthy weight during menopause.
- Morning and evening walks, aerobic exercises, and strength training help to shed extra pounds and gain muscle, which burns calories resulting in weight loss.
- Good quality sleep is crucial for maintaining a healthy weight, and practicing yoga can help reduce stress and relieve symptoms of menopause.
- Green tea and Ayurvedic herbal teas can also aid in weight loss due to the caffeine and EGCG found in green tea.
- Drinking plenty of water can keep the body hydrated, and also helps in fat burning.
Ayurvedic doctor’s opinion
Managing weight during menopause is a daunting task, but with the right approach, it can be accomplished. Ayurveda offers a holistic approach that focuses on a healthy lifestyle, including diet, exercise, and stress reduction.
Studies have shown that adopting a plant-based diet and avoiding processed and packaged foods can help reduce weight gain during menopause. A study conducted by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine found that a low-fat, plant-based diet can lead to weight loss, improved insulin sensitivity, and lower levels of inflammation.
Incorporating regular exercise, including strength training, aerobic exercise, and yoga can also help manage weight during menopause. Research has found that regular exercise can increase muscle mass and metabolic rate, leading to improved weight loss and weight maintenance. A study published in the Journal of Women’s Health found that postmenopausal women who engaged in regular exercise were more likely to maintain their weight and avoid weight gain.
Stress reduction techniques, such as meditation and yoga, can also be effective in managing weight during menopause. A study published in the journal Menopause found that mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) can help reduce menopausal symptoms, including hot flashes and night sweats. Another study published in the journal Obesity found that women who practiced yoga regularly had lower levels of cortisol, a stress hormone associated with weight gain.
In summary, managing weight during menopause requires a multi-faceted approach that includes dietary changes, exercise, stress reduction, and the incorporation of Ayurvedic principles. With the right approach and a commitment to a healthy lifestyle, women can successfully manage their weight during this challenging time in their lives.