Cracked, chipped, split, or peeled nails are very common symptoms of brittle nails.
Brittle nails can be a sign of aging, deficiency, prolonged use of nail polish, or nail polish remover. People who do swimming or dishwashing or cleaning are also more prone to brittle nails.
Brittle nails may not be that painful, but they do take away the beauty of your hands. While going for a weekly manicure may not be the most feasible option, you can try these simple Ayurvedic tips to treat brittle nails.
Ayurvedic Home remedies for brittle nails
In Ayurveda, the nails of our fingers and toes are considered a by-product of bone formation (asthi dhatu). Since proper nutrition is needed for building strong bones, it is also important for forming healthy nails.
Ayurveda highlights that a diet deficient in calcium and magnesium or malabsorption of these minerals can result in rough, brittle, cracked, and split nails. The deficiency of essential nutrients can also cause ridges and cracks to appear on your nails.
In some individuals, brittle nails and bone loss can go hand in hand. This is specifically true for women who are nearing menopausal age. This can suggest a weakness in Asthi dhatu. So, if you have brittle nails, you might want to get tested for osteoporosis.
Eat Sesame seeds for brittle nails
Thus, to promote the healthy growth of your nails and to strengthen the nails, it is essential to eat right. Ayurveda suggests eating a handful of white sesame seeds every day can be very helpful. A handful of white sesame seeds contains about 1200 milligrams of calcium and magnesium.
Ashwagandha for brittle nails
In addition to this, Ayurveda also hails the power of Ashwagandha or Shatavari powder. Taking either one of these herbal formulations can help in strengthening your nails. Take half a teaspoon of this Ayurvedic formula in a cup of hot milk. Drink this twice a day to treat brittle nails naturally.
7 Simple Ayurvedic Remedies for Brittle nails
Sesame seed oil can help nourish and strengthen your nails and cuticles. Massage the oil on your feet, toenails, and fingernails before bedtime to promote relaxation and blood circulation.
How to use sesame oil for brittle nails?
- Take 2-3 tablespoons of sesame seed oil in a bowl.
- Add 5 drops of lemon juice to it.
- Warm the mix until it turns lukewarm.
- Put your fingertips in the oil for about 20 minutes.
- Rub the fingernails and cuticles of your hand for 5 minutes.
- Let the oil soak.
- Do these 2 to 3 times a week.
Coconut oil massage
Coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer. It makes your nails stronger, improves your blood circulation, and naturally treats brittle nails. It also makes the cuticles strong and lessens dryness and peeling. Coconut oil also fortifies the nail beds and promotes nail growth.
How to use coconut oil for brittle nails?
- Take a few teaspoons of coconut oil and warm it a little.
- Add a dash of lemon to it.
- Apply this mix on your nails and hands and gently massage it.
Olive oil is an inexpensive home remedy to fortify brittle nails. It helps repair the damage, soften the nails and cuticles, and increases nail strength.
How to use olive oil for brittle nails?
- Take 2 teaspoons of olive oil and dip your fingers in the oil for around 10 minutes.
- You can also massage your nails with olive oil.
- Do this at least twice a week.
Sea salt is an excellent remedy for brittle nails. It helps soften cuticles and brings back the dazzle in your nails.
How to use sea salt for brittle nails?
- Take sea salt in a small bowl of warm water.
- Soak your nails for 10-15 minutes and rinse them off with warm water.
- Pat dry and apply hand cream.
- Repeat this procedure thrice a week.
One of the most effective and easy home remedies for brittle nails is lemon juice. It helps in strengthening your nails and prevents them from infections. Lemon juice also cleans and brightens your nails.
How to use lemon juice for brittle nails?
- Mix equal parts of lemon juice, olive oil, coconut oil, or almond oil.
- Leave it overnight and wash it in the morning for better results.
Green tea is enriched with nutrients and antioxidants. It is an excellent health drink that also works amazingly well in treating brittle nails.
How to use green tea for brittle nails?
- Dip a bag of green tea in warm water.
- Soak your nails in this water.
- Keep it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Do it once or twice for the best results.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree possesses strong anti-inflammatory properties which help prevent fungal infections. Fungal infections can be the root cause of dry and brittle nails. It is also used as an anti-septic that treats stained and discolored nails. It also heals and strengthens your nails.
How to use tea tree oil for brittle nails?
- Dilute the tea tree oil with carrier oil. Add 2-3 drops of tea tree oil to coconut oil, olive oil, or almond oil.
- Apply it to nails for 20 minutes and wash with warm water.
Dry broken and brittle nails are very common, especially among women who are either not eating enough nutrients or are spending too much time cleaning and cooking. However, it is vital to keep your nails healthy to prevent injuries and infections. You can try the above-mentioned home remedies to take care of your nails.
Apart from these, you can also rub petroleum jelly or a moisturizer cream on your nails. Avoid using too much nail polish or nail polish remover on your nails. Apart from this, your diet and lifestyle are very important for your overall health, including your nail health. You need enough proteins, fats, vitamins, and minerals to make your nails strong.